Why don't YOU try to lose it? Someone has to..

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Note from a Friend

First I want to say that your wife is very smart for taking away the big plate and only letting you use a smaller plate. Here in the US we are just used to portions that really are double or triple what we need.

Going with the plate thing you don't have to wait for Shabbas to make the meal special. If you have nice glasses and fun plates eating will be something to look forward to not only for the food but the decor and the fact that you are treating yourself.

I don't eat diet foods I eat the real thing and because I know that I am using real butter or olive oil etc etc I am more aware of how much I am using and therefore use less then I would with a substitute.

Eat foods that make you happy. If you find that a salad does nothing for you and leaves you hungry find something else maybe the same grilled chicken with steamed vegetables instead of raw. You need to do what is right for you and your body and tell everyone else you are doing this for yourself. Salad does not work for everyone. I need to eat something hot everyday or I just do not feel satisfied.

A money saver tip. If you want to have preztels or other snacks buy the regular sized bag but the minute you get home from the store put the correct amount to make a serving into ziplock baggies and allow yourself one baggie at a time. The same can be done with cereal and anything else that comes in a box or multi serving bag.

Most important listen to your body if you find a food does not agree with you try not to have it as often. if you crave something no matter what it is it is better to have it own up to having it and get over it then try to substitute something else instead because you will wind up eating the house and still want the original thing. Don't deprive yourself just realize what you are eating and eat less of it and pair it with steamed vegetables or broiled vegetables instead of potatoes and rice and challah.

Don't get discouraged at the Holidays. Either use a smaller plate to begin with or don't go back for seconds put a little of all the things you want on your plate and savor it. Also having chicken soup minus the matzo balls or pasta will help fill you up but not be horrible for you. Understand that in the past you probably gained 5 - 10 pounds easily during the holidays and this time around you will be accountable to yourself. Encourage someone to go on a Yom Tov walk with you after dinner just to walk and talk and catch up. If you know you are going to have multiple big meals during this time don't just eat salad because you will feel cheated have soup and salmon or a piece of chicken and some vegetables. If anyone gives you crap for not eating the entire table tell them you are making a change in your life. Someone not happy that you are eating real food instead of a salad tell them to back off. Maybe grandma makes something special only this time of year and it is your favorite have a piece at a time you can savor it. If that means you need to have it in the kitchen just you and grandma after the meal or as a dessert right before bed do that. You want to remember the taste and the smell and expirience and I bet grandma or whoever else made it will be very happy that you have made a decision that you want a piece but that you are going to do it in a way that a smaller piece means something and isn't forgotten and then you want 12 more pieces.

F

PS. All this comes from expirience. Since leaving NY i have lost 80 pounds and still going. I have become allergic to wheat and other grains so they have been completely cut out of my eating habits. I can't eat raw vegetables they make me sick but i can eat unlimited amounts of cooked ones. Yes it was difficult to convince people that eating Asian style (ok Chinese food almost everyday) is good for me and the salad they try to shove down my throat isn't but after the first day of a visit with me where my mom said she was going to eat what I did she lost weight on my Chinese Food Diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment