Why don't YOU try to lose it? Someone has to..

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Day 9

As promised...the Day 9 entry.

Today started out with promise. I woke up at a decent hour, davened (prayed for those who don't know what Daven means) and started my day. I went to the middle of nowhere Long Island today for a friend of mine for work purposes. Making some money is always good.

I get to Bohemia, NY, which from Far Rockaway, is roughly 45 minutes. The problem with this is, I am not supposed to be there. My dear friend gave me the wrong directions. On top of that lovely detail, my beautiful truck popped a tire. The day started off with such promise and hope it would have made Obama proud.

Did you know AAA has a limits how many visits they help with? Yeah...they do. So I finagled my last free trip. I am awesome. By the time the tow truck comes, I am sweaty and out of breath. This is where the weight loss kick comes in...this wonderful friend said I wasn't so far from the office. So I walked. And walked. And walked. Give or take a mile and a half, in 90 degree heat. It was like doing Bikram Yoga in Hell fully dressed. But, the silver lining is I did my workout today, and then some.

So I decided to scratch the gym tonight. I was pretty happy with my nice little trek over Long Island. I discovered many things...like heat rash.

Now that angry Simon was able to vent, advice time. This one is for Josh. I am fat. Overweight. Pleasantly plump and festively fit. But I am motivated. I don't know why I am, but I am. I made a big deal out of me losing weight and I honestly can't tell anyone why. My wife is happy because her husband won't look like Porky pig anymore. My parents are happy because I am going to be "healthy" (and I just hear them now..."We love you Simon, we just want you to be healthy...") All in all, I still didn't care. It tooks me looking at my weight to get motivated and now I am doing it for myself.

But where does the motivation come from? You have to care. Maybe it will take a shock like looking at your weight on your friends scale, or a heart attack, or diabetes, or any of the wonderful little aches and pains you get in your back, knees and ankles. Or my personal favorite...ripping your most comfortable, favorite pair of pants getting into your 1999 Black GMC Sierra 1500. Whatever shocks you may actually be good for you. Walking through fire, throwing yourself to the wolves. Get motivated. Tell people about it so you can't back out. Set goals ( if I lose 50lbs, my parents are buying me new clothes).

Something else gave me extra motivation today. While I was waiting for the tow truck today, after the summer Iditerod through Bohemia, I decided to clean some of the garbage from my truck. I live out of the thing, its bound to get dirty. It was like the greatest hits of 7-11. Coffee cups, juice bottles, soda bottles, snack wrappers, etc etc etc...

I can't promise I won't go back to eating those little pretzels with cheese in between or a super fructose juice or a massive Double Big Gulp from 7-11, but I was truly embarrassed by what I saw. No wonder I am in the position I am in. So note to self (for me and you) start a food journal. You don't have to show or tell anyone. But write down what you eat every day for 2 weeks. It may scare a Mr. Goodbar right out of you. I know it did for me.

Happy Hunting Kiddies.

No comments:

Post a Comment