Why don't YOU try to lose it? Someone has to..

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Day 13

Panic has set in. What in the name of all that is holy have I done? I post, daily, on my exploits of a very sensitive subject in my life. I share being fat with the general public, most of whom are friends. Have I lost my mind? I can't back out. I can't hit Carlos & Gabby's because people will know. Yossi's Grill is out of the question. I'm an idiot.

My mind is racing a little bit. Last week, exercise 3 of the 5 days of the week. Not a terrible start to this thing. Not great, but not terrible.

This week is starting off slowly as well. Tonight, however, I added something to the mix. A very dear friend of mine, Jesse, the OT, gave me exercises for me to do for my knees and ankles. (A little background...besides for being overweight and a terrible eater, I played baseball for many years as catcher, I skied for many years and was actually somewhat active for a big dude. Also, I had a bout with Osgood-Schlatters Disease and have lost cartilage in both of my knees.) I actually plan on scanning these in for those who have bad knees and ankles like I do. I do not endorse using them without proper consultation nor do I or Jesse take responsibility for anything that may occur if you decide to do these exercises and hurt yourself, which is hard, but I've met some of you....

After a week though, lets talk about some results. The weekly sum. The moment we have all been waiting for. The big kahuna, taking all of the cake.

Total Weight Lost: 2lbs.

This may not seem like a big achievement for you skinny people. I didn't ask you anyways. For fat Jews like me...this is huge. I put my mind and motivation behind this and actually have succeeded. I have been told, by my wife, mother in law and several other people, that just the 2 pounds and the extra movement in my life have actually tightened things already. Which is hard to believe. But any extra movement you do, when you are accustomed to do nothing, probably does have an effect on how your body reacts to it.

I don't know how to gauge how my body tightened up, but I do know that my pants did seem a little loose, which is awesome.

Keep this in mind. You only lose a certain amount of calories/weight at the gym. But with constant movement (in my case, Cardio), done everyday, your body and its metabolism actually help you lose weight when you AREN'T working out. Its incredible. The Lord does work in mysterious ways.

I now make sure that: 1) I exercise 2) I do body specific exercises for the weaker parts of my anatomy 3) I watch what I eat.

And Yes!!! I do watch what I eat. Sometimes, I do watch things go into my mouth that shouldn't, like the aforementioned Carlos and Gabby's. But I know what is going into it. I'm not randomly feeding the abyss. The cognizant recognition of your consumption is a huge step to losing weight. You actually CAN have that burritto. No kidding. But make sure you eat in moderation. No burrittos AND fries AND chili AND beer AND chips AND nachos AND a diet soda (because you are watching your girlish figure.) A burritto and bottle of water, actually not so bad. Is it the best thing for you and your diet? Probably not... but don't throw your whole new weight loss adventure because you had a wonderful, delicious, mouth watering, frankly..beautiful burrito. Eat it.

Just try to be stronger next time. I know I did. I was offered to be taken out the day after my Carlos and Gabby's and actually said "No," not that I didn't want to. But I knew that I had to be careful.

MMMMMM....burrittos.....

Happy Hunting.

1 comment:

  1. "A little background...besides for being overweight and a terrible eater, I played baseball for many years as catcher, I skied for many years and was actually somewhat active for a big dude. Also, I had a bout with Osgood-Schlatters Disease and have lost cartilage in both of my knees."

    Don't forget getting your foot broken playing soccer...

    ReplyDelete